Stand tall...pfft but I'm pretty petite

While navigating the Dean's letter this morning, I came across an adjective: soft-spoken. It was one of the sentences that made me pause and think a little. It encapsulated my fear, my reservations, I've held since grade school. That I am a pretty quiet person.

At the same time, it references a skill I have learned to embrace. How are you supposed to navigate and contribute to this grown-up world? Team leadership, being outspoken, motivational, and courageous are attributes that seemingly stand as antonyms of quietude. Yet, there are many articles and books about introverts being quite accomplished leaders because of the ability to listen, synthesize, and direct.

Reflecting upon these 3-4 years in medical school, I learned that confidence isn't about always being right or always being loud. A confident person understands the limits to his or her knowledge. The power lies in connecting with people to cultivate teamwork. Present your work, ask how you can help, and ask how to improve.

I may be quiet, but when I have something to say, there's value to it. Let people see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment