Bone Broth

Soup has been the third leg of my family's table. It's packed with nutrients and fighting powers to ward off any stress and stuffiness. During a busy week, I always wish for more energy and time to conjure up soups with the depth of flavor as found in my mother's kitchen. 

I love reading Nom Nom Paleo, and her section on bone broth remained bookmarked. Finally armed with an electronic pressure cooker of my own, I buried the bones of a chicken carcass with water, salt, pepper, and green onion. About 45 minutes later, deliciously rich and golden broth awaited in the pot. I merely strained out the solids and pour m'self a nice hot cup of broth. Instant power-up!!


If you're particular about fat, I noticed that after refrigerating it overnight, the fat congealed to the surface like pudding. A few scrapes and fat-no-more! Also, the broth became gelatinous when cold, which represents the heartiest type of broth. I would smack my lips, but that would be rude.


Ingredients
1 chicken carcass's bones (or your bones of choice)
5 cups of water (or until bones are fully summersed)
4 stalks of green onion
1 slice of ginger
Salt to taste

I put my electronic pressure cooker to Manual, Medium Pressure, for 45 minutes. I don't have the specific kPa this relates to, but I'm sure most combinations will work. Use broth for curry, as soup base, or just your drink of choice on a chilly Texas day.

No comments:

Post a Comment