Minimums

I'm officially done with all medical school clinical rotations! When you are just looking toward the exam and then the next exam, you don't realize a month, two months, has pass.

I started this post a month ago, and I'm sort of upset how uncommitted I've become in finishing up posts. C'mon, girl. Step up your game.

So I'm in this awkward phase of interviewing for a job in a fashion similar to speed dating to find my next 5-year life partner. This also entails finding the cheapest flights and rooms - thank goodness for the generosity of many residents who has opened up their home. Now, I'm not quite the travel-savvy businesswoman that exists sometimes in my head, but I feel compelled to share some insights, loves, and warnings.

1. Uber is amazing. Seeing that little graphic car slowly edge its way to your location on its GPS-enabled map system is also a little creepy at the same time it is gratifying for the anxious "I'm 15 minutes behind schedule" unemployed explorer.

2. Southwest is amazing. Tickets are consistently more than 50% off the other major airlines. Combined with no penalty fees for changing/canceling -- this airline is made for residency interviews.

3. Speaking of flying, give yourself more time than 45 minutes in layover time at Atlanta airport (also Chicago I've heard). Running to a different terminal to catch a plane in 15 min...wear flat boots or sneakers, my friend.

4. TSA precheck is a winner. For $85 over 5 years, I get to skip the horrendous security line and keep my dignity by not having to strip my boots off and jackets while holding up my arms high in the criminally-suggestive pose. Total time from arrival to gate: 15 min.

5. Longchamp Tote Neo - a little splurge. But this is the perfect travel-friendly, interview-appropriate, lightweight, subtle professional bag. A little pricey especially for the amount of leather but it's worth it: stains don't stay, it's sturdy with a industrial-strength zipper, and it still looks sleek no matter how empty or bloated it is. High-quality ingredient.

6. Theory suit - ok, I'm getting really trendy and spendy here. Let me qualify that I bought it on sale at an outlet so it was cheaper than a J.crew suit (which does not believe in hips). I've stuffed these pieces in duffel bags over the year, worn them for hours straight, squashed them under my toiletries in my suitcase...and it still has zero wrinkles.

Oh, and I got a new car. Thought it was time for a life-upgrade and decided to learn how to drive a standard. (Have to thank Chado as he's the hero in this story.)



No comments:

Post a Comment