Go Fish

With the holiday season, I'm always in search of neat and unique gifts that, more importantly, caters to the receiver's interests. To impart a thoughtful gift is a form of art - a gesture I am deeply moved by and aspire to emulate. To not buy for the sake of buying but for the sake of sharing experiences together - how is that not flattering? Perhaps you can even heighten or enrich their life with your token. Perhaps you can call me a romantic.

In short, I am constantly on the hunt for small gift-able items. To be honest, I have a stash of items that I've already pre-planned who will be receiving them. Is that neurotic or what? But because of my total lack of birthday record keeping, with contradiction, I always have my friends in mind when I shop.

"There's Urban Decay on her bathroom counter. She'd like a collection of their eye pencils, I bet."
"Tea, not coffee, is what he usually orders. Now where can I find a good tea shop..."
"She is such a practical person. No frills with her." "He is also very practical."
"He's still sitting on that broken chair." (Someone is getting an early Christmas gift...!)

Hours, days, weeks, and months - the time I find myself sitting or searching. This year, I've spent the most money on a single gift than I had in my life, but the cost is negligible compared to these years we've fought, smiled, and grown together. Well, I'm not here to lament my wallet.

My favorites:
  • Anthropologie monogram mug ($8) - At this rate, I'll end up buying the entire alphabet and then some because these are so versatile. From sipping morning coffee to storing pencils and pens, they carry class without the glittery holiday sass.

  • Photobooks and photo canvases ($20-$40) - Parents are sentimental beings, and my mother will trade-in her beloved dresses for these photo pieces any day. I think the sound of her voice when she calls me flipping through her package is priceless. There's a variety of Groupons/ Livingsocial promos, too. I've had good experiences with their recent sellers.

  • You may have heard of Riusuke Fukahori's breathtaking 3d Goldfish art. This will be on my list for Asian parents, employers, extended relatives - you know, anyone who loves goldfish. I've bookmarked various replica sellers here, here, and here.


I'm also sensitive to superstition and cultural meanings. Avoid getting:

  • Knives - No matter how sharp, cute, practical, high-quality they are, they can be taken to mean, "Die." No steak knives, sorry. 
  • Shoes - It signifies that you want to send them away. "Leave me alone."
  • Clocks - It reminds the giftee that their time may be ending soon. "Fate is knocking on your door." I heard watches are ok, though. 

That's my spiel! If you have more recommendations on rock-star hits, I'm all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment