Boston: Island Creek Oyster Bar

Travel centers around food, and Boston was no exception. My friend took me to Island Creek Oyster Bar: my first time to have fresh oysters! We were lucky that a bar sitting of 2 were available when we arrived; the rest of the place was booked. Although I didn't have a chance to admire the oyster-shell wall on the other side, its open atmosphere with clean lines and well-lit design washed away our afternoon fatigue.


Seafood treads delicately on my palate because I abhor its "fishy" tang. The subtle sweetness is often masked by that rude, conspicuous ocean flavor. While some love that boldness, I need ginger, garlic, and pepper to do it away.


We ordered a dozen fresh oysters to start - island creek, rocky noon, fire river, and some others priced $2-3.50 each. The mildness of rocky noon was my favorite while my friend raved about the island creek (a bit too salty for my taste). Those golden morsels were soft and chewy, and slurp! So delectable! The condiments it came with were perfect. One was a robust homemade cocktail sauce that melded sweet and spicy harmoniously. The other had lemon, garlic, and pepper, and it was my dip of choice.


After an hour of slurping and smiling over missed conversations, we split a Clam Chowder and a Ethel's Lobster Roll. The clam chowder knocked the socks off of me. Its creamy multi-dimensional flavor carried bacon fat, pepper, rich stock, and onions. Hearty at its best, the dish can serve as any meal any day for me. A biscuit at the center was aptly crunchy and buttery. The clam chowder was my favorite of the night.


The Lobster Roll was also delicious. I love me some lobster! Its savory medley of the crustacean, celery, and light mayonnaise paired well with its buttery toasted roll. Although I didn't care for the house potato chips, the cole slaw gave a complementary freshness to the palate, leaving each new bite of the roll as good as the first.


Regarding the service - from the time the hostess welcomed us to the introduction of our waiter, we knew we were in good hands. The service was phenomenal - it wasn't just one person taking care of you but the whole restaurant. The dishes came without being too slow or fast, and our waiter was attentive to our pacing.  My water was always filled, and I didn't feel neglected or rushed at all despite being a busy restaurant.

I highly recommend this restaurant. The plates were exceptional, the service impeccable, and the pricing was reasonable - we ended up paying $90 (inc. tip, tax) for 2 hours of a great experience. I'll have to visit this gem again next time I'm in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment