3 Days in Boston

From Toronto to Boston was only a 1.5 hour flight, and public transportation in the BostonStrong city made it even more convenient to go where I need to go. From the airport, you can take the shuttle Route #22 to Blue Line Airport Station or take the Silver Line Bus to the Red Line.


Gracey visited me during my first hours of arrival. We went to Flour Bakery to share our yearly happenings over lemon curd cake. It was delicious! Devoured in minutes, by nonaccident. We were lucky to not encounter high volume traffic at the place as I heard it was the most popular bakery in Boston. 


Dessert got me hungry for dinner. Afterwards I met up with my host, Dandan! She took me to her favorite Italian restaurant, Giacomo's at Back Bay. It was a small branch of their main, but more popular, one at North End. The hostess was super friendly and offered us a table for 2 near the window - the rest of the place was reserved (a common motif). 

I had a Butternut Squash Ravioli and Dandan had a lobster one. The ravioli was savory - the sweetness of butternut squash was tempered by the creamy sauce and homemade pasta skin. I never had such good pasta! There's a distinct chewy but elastic fullness to homemade skins, yum.


Then we went for more desserts. We explored North End and visited the popular Mike's Pastries for their cannoli and Boston cream pie puff. An amaretto and a hazelnut cannoli plopped happily in our box. Then we headed over to the water to enjoy our desserts over the harbor view. 





During my 2nd and 3rd day, I shopped at Newbury Street. The boutiques crafted around townhouse-like buildings were cute! Found myself many good sales being end of June. Unfortunately, a pair of leopard print heels were taken away by a stranger in the subway. At least they stole the shoes and not my wallet. 


I had previously written about dinners at the Island Creek Oyster Bar and Toro. I also tried mighty good ramen for lunch at Sapporo Ramen. The broth was creamy and rich - extra vegetables did the trick to drink it. I love when the reduced bone marrow coats the broth and makes the lips sticky. It was a bit salty for my taste, however. 


After one of the dinners, we walked off our meals at Boston Commons. There was a race going on as well, so it was amusing to work around the stream of runners to get where we needed to be. 



Saving the best for last: Dandan took me to Top of the Hub bar & lounge to enjoy dessert and the nighttime city view. It was breathtaking!  Handsome leather seats greeted our fatigued legs. I continuously marveled at the city lights. 


We shared a bottle of Niveau moscato, a plate of freshly made cookies, and walnut-crusted brie. The service was great, and although a bit noisy with the crowds and live band, we were able to catch up without unwarranted distractions.



Handsdown, this place was my favorite adventure in Boston. If you are ever needing a date night spot or just catching up with a close friend, Top of the Hub is your place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment