On online shopping

Find me in class or "study breaks", and I'll likely be perusing online catalogs. My friends often joke about how I do so much online shopping. Clinic rotations are just 2 months away and the past 2 years I've been slowly curating my closet toward a more professional wardrobe. I found the interwebs to be worthwhile.
  • No driving, parking, and crowd madness - time saved is diverted to more "shopping" time
  • Free shipping and often free returns - why not?
  • You can find some amazing deals, too! Many sites host random 30-40% off
  • Often greater size selection for small people :o)
There are some cons,
  • Sale prices tend to be a bit more expensive, esp at major retailers (Gap, J.crew, etc.)
  • Inbox flooded daily
  • Final sale (=cheapest) is tricky - can't return if it does not fit/poor quality

First tip: Know your measurements at bust, waist, hips. Shoulder span is helpful too for blazers. 
  • Many online retailers give the model's measurements and size so you can compare
  • Know your shoulder-to-midthigh length which will come in handy for dresses. A 34" dress is perfect for me but may only cover the tushie of someone taller. 

Second tip: I think it's important to shop by brands . 
  • General size consistency -- I'm a 0 in French Connection and Theory, 00P in Banana Republic (sometimes smaller), and a 0P in Ann Taylor. H&M (2-4), Zara (2), and Topshop (4-6) brands run slimmer. If you don't know, just go and try stuff on!
  • Quality of fabrics
  • Cut of clothes - I love the waist cut of H&M and Zara. Baggy blazers and dresses will only make you look stumpy, so no Urban Outfitters for me.

Third tip: Finding designer investment pieces at 60-75% off are more worthwhile than 30% off a T shirt or cami. 
  • My cami's, Tees, and shorts are from mass retailers like Gap, Land's End Canvas, American Eagle. I know they will wear out, and I don't usually spend more than $10-15 for them.
  • My first Theory dress was $60 (vs. $250), and although I thought that was crazy expensive then, it's been the most flattering dress I have and now carries a very low cost-per-wear.
  • I would buy a piece at a higher price than usual if I know it'll be a staple, it's high quality, and it fits!

Fourth and most important tip: Think about what you really "need" in your wardrobe. Curate, curate, curate!!
  • How many ways can you style it? Can you wear it for work, transition it to dinner, shop in it, and brunch with it?
  • Can those staple pieces withstand 100 wears? Are those pencil skirts wrinkle-free after sitting?
  • Fully lined clothes (especially pants!!) is very important, else you need a slip.
  • Pet peeve: do you really need ___ in every color? 

I'll post more noodles next time and mention my favorite brands and items :o) Need to re-focus on class now..

No comments:

Post a Comment